A soft-bodied beetle with luminescent organs in the abdomen, especially the larvalike wingless female which emits light to attract the flying male.
- ‘While some locals have ascribed the lights to UFOs, others blamed swarms of fireflies or even glow-worms.’
- ‘That night, after dark, we descended to a cutaway in a hillside where we could view the tiny lights of glow-worms, a first for all of us.’
- ‘Although there are no fireflies in Britain, maybe I should also spend the summer searching for a glow-worm over here - people are already organising walks for 2003 to hunt for them.’
- ‘At first, I thought it must have been some sort of mutant glow-worm!’
- ‘The best way to explore them and see the unique blue light of the glow-worms clinging to them is on a black-water rafting trip.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.