One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A recess with a hinged door in the dashboard of a motor vehicle, used for storing small items.
- ‘The only person there was a valet but he instructed us that the manual would be in the glove compartment.’
- ‘Designed to be kept in the glove compartment, the accident pack contains essential items for a driver involved in an accident.’
- ‘It had a siren stored in the glove compartment that was hooked up to the car's cigarette lighter.’
- ‘He closed the book and turned to place it into the glove compartment under the dashboard.’
- ‘I suggest storing a bottle in the glove compartment of your car, at your office desk, or in your gym bag.’
- ‘It is advisable to keep a novel in the glove compartment of the car on a rainy day because the traffic comes to a grinding halt on the main roads.’
- ‘With a heavy sigh, he popped the glove compartment and pulled out a pocket flashlight.’
- ‘My mom cheered as she reached into the glove compartment to click on a garage door opener inside it.’
- ‘There are small door pockets and a glove compartment, plus a couple of cup holders.’
- ‘The glasses I used for night driving stayed in the glove compartment, unused, unnecessary.’
- ‘There are cans of coke on the floor and a road map crumpled up in the glove compartment which won't close all the way.’
- ‘I put a bottle of Scotch in his glove compartment for an emergency.’
- ‘Popping open the glove compartment, she pulled out a pack of gum, and popped a piece into her mouth.’
- ‘I fumbled in the glove compartment, hoping the registration and insurance card would be there.’
- ‘I reached into the glove compartment and put on the driving gloves I found in it.’
- ‘I nearly ran a red light when he opened the glove compartment, spilling the contents all across the floor.’
- ‘Dorian looked freaked out, so I pulled over and got a tissue from the glove compartment.’
- ‘She sighed, ran a hand through her hair and reached across me to the glove compartment where she took out a packet of cigarettes while I gaped.’
- ‘Jessica glanced over to Jason and then at the glove compartment where one of the guns was stored.’
- ‘She went back to the kid's SUV, and found some matches in the glove compartment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.