One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The use of statistical data to date the divergence of languages from their common sources.
- ‘Many of the papers in these volumes show a revival of interest in the much criticised techniques of glottochronology and lexicostatistics.’
- ‘The basic fallacy of glottochronology lies in the fact that it a priori assumes that all languages change at the same rate all the time.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the last published glottochronology for all the Caddoan languages dates to the 1960s, before the technique was refined.’
- ‘New methods in glottochronology provide logical and empirical proof that the second assumption is true.’
- ‘Despite the outcry, glottochronology is still employed, but in mathematically increasingly complex and conceptually more sophisticated models.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.