One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Inflammation of the tongue.
- ‘This is a painful condition where lesions develop at the corners of your lips, and glossitis (inflammation of the tongue) can also occur.’
- ‘A diet deficient in niacin (as well as tryptophan) leads to glossitis of the tongue, dermatitis, weight loss, diarrhea, depression and dementia.’
- ‘She also had painful glossitis and angular stomatitis.’
- ‘The patient may experience glossitis, or cracking at the edges of the mouth, and he or she may lose hair or the luster of the hair may change.’
- ‘Among these lesions, angular stomatitis and glossitis were more prevalent than flattening of the fingernails.’
Early 19th century: from Greek glōssa ‘tongue’ + -itis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.