Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cluster of nerve endings, spores, or small blood vessels, in particular a cluster of capillaries around the end of a kidney tubule, where waste products are filtered from the blood.
- ‘In cases of severe intravascular hemolysis, the binding capacity of haptoglobin is exceeded rapidly, and free hemoglobin is filtered by the glomeruli.’
- ‘Pressure of blood in the glomerulus causes fluid to filter into Bowman's capsule.’
- ‘Your kidneys filter waste and sodium using tiny filters called glomeruli.’
- ‘In the kidney, the glomeruli show thickened capillary walls and endothelial swelling.’
- ‘The neoplastic cells surrounded glomeruli and invaded renal tubules forming lymphoepithelial lesions.’
- ‘The glomerulus filters the blood and the waste products are removed.’
- ‘The capillaries of glomeruli with cellular crescents were collapsed and showed few or no inflammatory cells.’
- ‘Fairly well differentiated renal tissue with embryonic glomeruli and tubules.’
- ‘The glomeruli are tiny blood vessels within your kidneys that filter fluid, waste and other substances from your blood.’
- ‘IgA Nepropathy progressively ruins the kidneys' filtering units, called glomeruli.’
- ‘Glucose normally is filtered by the glomerulus, but it is almost completely reabsorbed in the proximal tubule.’
- ‘Men's kidneys have larger glomeruli than women's and they have a greater glomerular volume.’
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, diminutive of Latin glomus, glomer- ‘ball of thread’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.