One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of simple proteins soluble in salt solutions and forming a large fraction of blood serum protein. The three principal subsets of globulin are alpha globulin, beta globulin, and gamma globulin, which are distinguished by their respective degrees of electrophoretic mobility (alpha having the greatest and gamma having the least).
- ‘Normal urinary proteins include albumin, serum globulins, and proteins secreted by the nephron.’
- ‘The pattern of serum protein electrophoresis results depends on the fractions of two major types of protein: albumin and globulins.’
- ‘There are several types of simple proteins known as globulins in the blood: alpha, beta, and gamma.’
- ‘By some unknown process, acupuncture raises levels of triglycerides, specific hormones, prostaglandins, white blood counts, gamma globulins, opsonins, and overall anti-body levels.’
- ‘Once the steroids are released into the blood, binding globulins can regulate hormone availability to target tissues or protection from metabolism.’
Mid 19th century: from globule (in the archaic sense ‘blood corpuscle’) + -in.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.