One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The connective tissue of the nervous system, consisting of several different types of cell associated with neurons.Also called neuroglia
- ‘These factors play a pivotal role in brain development by direction the formation of neurons and supporting cells called glia from uncommitted progenitor cells.’
- ‘From human embryonic stem cells the company has produced the three types of brain cells, namely glia (glue cells), astrocytes (star cells) and oligodendrocytes (few branches cells).’
- ‘The transplanted stem cells engrafted and differentiated into human neurons and glia that intermingled with host brain counterparts.’
- ‘Most of the bone marrow-derived cells in the brain tissue were glia (support cells) and other non-neuronal cells.’
- ‘He showed that this was due primarily to the growth of more synapses and more nonneural supporting cells called glia.’
Late 19th century: from Greek, literally ‘glue’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.