Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The business or technique of cutting and installing glass for windows and doors; glazing.
2The manufacture of glass and glassware.
- ‘Crafts that will be taught include glasswork, upholstery and patchwork.’
- ‘Ninety percent of the work featured in the Arts and Crafts Gallery, for instance, is crafted by local artists, with an emphasis on such media as glasswork, ceramics, woodworking and woven textiles.’
- ‘Another man speaks haltingly about his severe disability and loss, while at the same time he develops excellent craftsmanship in glasswork, something he had never accomplished before.’
3Ornaments and articles made of glass; glassware.
- ‘This exhibition consists solely of Sue's glasswork which encompasses mosaic animals and semi-abstract architecture with colour and movement being an integral feature.’
- ‘This month shoppers will be able to buy a wide range of jewellery, handmade felt toys, paper, musical instruments, clothing, glasswork, beaded items and other traditional crafts.’
- ‘Check them out for interesting beads and glasswork, Indian dresses and fresh, hand-rolled incense.’
- ‘The city is filled with paintings, sculpture, mosaics, glasswork, ironwork, and an awesome number of architectural sidles that can keep you gawking for days.’
- ‘It contained the most beautiful vase I'd ever seen, a pattern of interweaving vines, and near the rim, two faces that peeped lovingly from the glasswork.’
- ‘The exhibition will include new works on paper through print and wood block, abstract sculptural wall pieces to functional ceramics, glasswork, iron works and clean contemporary textile works.’
- ‘The exhibition features sculpture, glasswork and painting and runs until Sunday.’
- ‘The foyer of County Hall was choc-a-bloc with paintings, pottery, mosaics, decorated glasswork, knitwear and many, many other examples of what can be achieved with the proper guidance.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.