One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Look briefly.‘he had glanced his eye over all the folios of my copy’
- ‘Initially, I had glanced my eye over the weight-loss plan and dismissed it as a passing fad - and, more importantly, a grossly unhealthy one.’
- ‘But the momentary apprehension was dispelled by hope and valour; and every man, says the marshal of Champagne, glanced his eye on the sword or lance which he must speedily use in the glorious conflict.’
- ‘At first glance my eye goes up to that ball of flame on the right.’
- ‘When I landed on the hard ground I murmured at the mean treatment of the sheep, and, glancing my eye upward, saw him looking at me from the roof of the house.’
- ‘‘Indeed, your example is an unfortunate one for your argument,’ said Holmes, taking the paper and glancing his eye down it.’
- ‘As he glanced his eye rapidly over the fatal list, he was much moved at finding there the names of more than one who had some claim to consideration in the army.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.