One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An open-toed T-bar sandal with multiple straps running across the foot in a style designed to resemble that of the footwear of ancient Roman gladiators.
- ‘The writing is on the wall: the flip-flop is dead, for the gladiator sandal has taken over the world.’
- ‘More recently, however, with the rise of 'retro' gladiator sandals, flares, hippie prints, Empire lines and the like I've found myself, unexpectedly, at the cutting edge of what's hot.’
- ‘"The first time I saw Donna, in the summer of 1966, she was sitting on her mother's front stoop in a ribbed cotton tank top, shorty hot pants, with gladiator sandals laced up to her shins, a ponytail sticking up from her head, and false lashes."’
- ‘The fashion section leads in with a model in gladiator sandals, shorts, a metallic bag and printed top.’
- ‘Flats and gladiator sandals are fine, but plastic?’
- ‘Wearing a strapless white top and towering in silver gladiator sandals, she badgered a video producer who had promised her copies of photos he had taken weeks earlier.’
- ‘Follow the trend lead of all the pretty young things in SoHo - a curvy knee-length LBD and a fab pair of flipflops, or even some laced gladiator sandals.’
- ‘Perhaps finish whatever outfit you choose with some gladiator sandals.’
- ‘Madison fashion is this month advocating prints, thick straps with square/asymmetrical necklines, playsuits, safari style, boho glamour, gladiator sandals, chic leisure wear, tie-dye pieces and flattering underwear.’
- ‘I do not consider crocodile print gladiator sandals to be part of my "essential spring casuals".’
- ‘Cardigans, wispy slip dresses, flared jeans and dainty shoes have been dispensed with in favour of boxy biker jackets, mean-looking suits, skinny drainpipes and gladiator sandals with killer heels.’
- ‘It is a gladiator sandal that can easily be dressed up or worn casually.’
- ‘I wore gladiator sandals, a white mini and a red duffle.’
- ‘You're guilty of setting fashion-forward trends, and this gladiator sandal is proof.’
- ‘One of the nicest styles that you can get is the gladiator sandal, which is really coming back into style this summer.’
- ‘I got a pair of gold gladiator sandals, a white jumper (sweater), and a cute purple clutch, all for about 13 pounds.’
- ‘'Your 2009 Beach Essentials' is a tight, eight-page edit of hats, sunnies, gladiator sandals, beach bags, bikinis, tees, towels, watches, short shorts, beach umbrellas and beach reads.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.