One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The process, condition, or result of being covered by glaciers or ice sheets.
- ‘In Illinois, levels of diversity drop precipitously, most likely reflecting one or more genetic bottlenecks in areas that were once covered by the Wisconsin glaciation.’
- ‘These hydrogeological conditions are controlled by relative land and sea level, erosion and deposition, the cold climate processes of permafrost and glaciation, and rock stress changes.’
- ‘Are these sea-level changes caused by continental glaciation?’
- ‘Geologically young, the Rockies exhibit faulting, glaciation, and volcanism, resulting in rugged, spectacularly scenic terrain.’
- ‘He concluded that discontinuity patterns resulted from ecological and geological barriers at high elevations, attributable mostly to the effects of glaciation and volcanism.’
- 1.1 A glacial period.
- ‘Similar deposits that accumulated during earlier glaciations occur at various levels in the geological column.’
- ‘We've had glaciations and we've had warmer periods, and vegetation would creep back as the glaciers were retreating.’
- ‘The reason the large animals did not die out at the end of previous glaciations is because there were no previous glaciations.’
- ‘The Upper Palaeolithic occupies the second half of the last glaciation, ending 10,000 years ago.’
- ‘Under these periods of glaciations, the seas would fall to levels about 400 feet below the present.’
- ‘‘Geologically, it would be about 10,000 years old, as the last glaciations meant that entire area was covered with glaciers,’ he said.’
- ‘During Pleistocene times this resulted in a glacial climate and widespread continental glaciations in high latitudes.’
- ‘However, there have been at least four significant glacial episodes prior to the Pleistocene glaciations.’
- ‘A final chapter reviews recent speculations on the causes of global glaciation.’
- ‘The first extinction of the Precambrian, which largely affected stromatolites and acritarchs, has been correlated with a large glaciation event that occurred about 600 million years ago.’
- ‘Silt and varved clay, probably deposited during the last stages of Pleistocene glaciation, cover the entire floor.’
- ‘An alternative view on uplift and climate change proposes that the Quaternary glaciations in the Himalayas could have enhanced uplift.’
- ‘Their study by others led to the discovery of multiple glaciations, separated by interglacial periods.’
- ‘No polar glaciations are known during the Late Permian.’
- ‘Minor glaciations may also have taken place in the earlier Ordovician early Silurian and late Devonian.’
- ‘A popular view is that during the last glaciation a large ice sheet formed over the Tibetan plateau and that this ice sheet caused a similar split in jet-stream flow.’
- ‘During periods of glaciations followed by periods of thaw it is thought that the river was flowing at such a speed it was able to carry gravel from the glaciers and ice fields to the north and west.’
- ‘Then came a warmer period between glaciations, and the stalactite grew.’
- ‘For instance, during the Pleistocene glaciations, the high altitude areas were probably nearer to distinct kinds of open vegetation, while forests were retracting.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.