Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A period in the earth's history when polar and mountain ice sheets were unusually extensive across the earth's surface.
- ‘Periods of loess deposition are found to correlate with glacial periods when loess profiles are compared to palaeoclimatic evidence from deep-sea cores.’
- ‘The Irish elk evolved during the glacial periods of the last million years, during the Pleistocene Epoch.’
- ‘Among them, that atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide were high during each warm period, that more dust was in the air during glacial periods, and that ice ages occur very quickly.’
- ‘Cave bears have inhabited Europe and the Near East since the Riss glacial period (250,000 years ago, 250 KYA; Mazza and Rustioni 1994).’
- ‘Santa Cruz cypress was probably more abundant and widespread during the past glacial period, but today only five populations are known.’
- ‘After the last glacial period, this species was thought to have experienced a rapid northward expansion, especially in the Tohoku district.’
- ‘In landlocked, mountainous countries, iodine deficiency prevailed for many centuries, probably since the last glacial period.’
- ‘Secondly, it was becoming clear that ice ages followed a regular pattern and that interglacials (such as we are now in) were much shorter that the full glacial periods in between.’
- ‘For example, many plant and animal species retreated to a few refugia in the southern parts of Europe during the last glacial period.’
- ‘The glacial period shows significant shorter-period oscillations in climate.’
- ‘He wrote ‘there appear to have been glacial periods of world-wide extent’.’
- ‘The elephants ‘likely came over on a land-bridge present during the glacial periods of the Pleistocene,’ when sea levels were lower, he said.’
- ‘During the glacial periods the sea level became much lower because so much water was converted to ice.’
- ‘Actually there is not one Ice Age but a whole series of glacial periods (principally in the Northern Hemisphere) interspersed by warm, even tropical, interglacials.’
- ‘Soils were formed from a sandy glacial outwash during the end of the last glacial period and are low in organic matter, nitrogen, clay, and water-holding capacity.’
- ‘Scientists had previously noted such rapid back-and-forth climate changes in other Greenland ice cores during the glacial period.’
- ‘Here the onset of a glacial period destroys corals; there global warming allows them to flourish, to a certain point.’
- ‘They are related to the ancestral Hudson River drainage system and formed during glacial periods when the sea level was lower than at present, exposing the continental shelf.’
- ‘Genetic variability of species is determined by geographical conditions, ecological factors, mating systems and also by historical events such as glacial periods.’
- ‘Here we are warming the planet, while at the same time, climatologists will tell us that we are perhaps long overdue for a glacial period.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.