One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make an obscene gesture with the middle finger raised as a sign of contempt, meaning 'fuck you.'.
- ‘Dreyden shrugged brushed it off, politely giving him the finger.’
- ‘Yes, I was doing push-ups with one arm, all the while giving them the finger.’
- ‘The driver nodded, pointed as if to say, ‘Yes, you,’ then emphatically gave us the finger.’
- ‘I responded by giving him the finger, before collapsing on my bed once more and drawing the blankets on top of me.’
- ‘I glanced over my shoulder to see him still standing there, his face entirely straight, yet at the same time calmly giving me the finger.’
- ‘I called giving Travis the finger before I closed the door.’
- ‘I raised a hand and gave him the finger before walking towards the school building.’
- ‘I yelled over my shoulder, giving him the finger.’
- ‘He was going to junior high school, and he'd always walk in front of my house and give me the finger.’
- ‘‘Process this,’ I retort, giving him the finger.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.