One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make an obscene gesture with the middle finger raised as a sign of contempt, meaning 'fuck you.'.
- ‘I glanced over my shoulder to see him still standing there, his face entirely straight, yet at the same time calmly giving me the finger.’
- ‘I raised a hand and gave him the finger before walking towards the school building.’
- ‘‘Process this,’ I retort, giving him the finger.’
- ‘He was going to junior high school, and he'd always walk in front of my house and give me the finger.’
- ‘Yes, I was doing push-ups with one arm, all the while giving them the finger.’
- ‘The driver nodded, pointed as if to say, ‘Yes, you,’ then emphatically gave us the finger.’
- ‘I called giving Travis the finger before I closed the door.’
- ‘I yelled over my shoulder, giving him the finger.’
- ‘Dreyden shrugged brushed it off, politely giving him the finger.’
- ‘I responded by giving him the finger, before collapsing on my bed once more and drawing the blankets on top of me.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.