One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular or plural The gums.
- ‘Chronic periodontitis (inflammation of the gingiva and periodontal membrane) may be a sequel of chronic gingivitis, usually because of accumulation of plaque and calculus.’
- ‘The patient complained of right maxillary pain; there were no significant dental abnormalities, but a small lesion on the right upper gingiva was seen, and a biopsy was performed.’
- ‘Lesions of the oral mucosa may be seen on the gingiva, buccal mucosa, palate, tongue, and lips.’
- ‘Pregnant women should be evaluated for cavities, poor oral hygiene, inflamed gingiva, and loose teeth, as well as frequency of sugar consumption.’
- ‘Brushing should focus on the junction between the gingiva and teeth.’
Late 17th century: Latin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.