One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A leg-of-mutton sleeve.
- ‘The small gigot sleeve is particularly attractive to create a broad shoulder line, which in turn gives the illusion of a small waist.’
- ‘Her gown is authentically styled, from the ribbed gigot sleeves and romantic ribbons to the ruffled bodice and underskirt, and soft pastel colors.’
- ‘Large gigot sleeves along with wider and shorter skirts began to emerge as the silhouette for the Romantic Period.’
- ‘The sleeves, which are very near approach to the old gigot sleeves, are drawn in at the elbow and wrist with bands of ribbons.’
- ‘By the 1830s dresses included printed cottons with high tucked waists and gigot sleeves.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.