Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Unusual or abnormal largeness.
- ‘Such gigantism usually leads to some form of extinction.’
- ‘Examples of such dwarfism or gigantism include the giant tortoises of the Seychelles islands, Indonesia's Komodo dragons, and the boas of the Belizean Snake Cayes.’
- ‘It's not certain why dinosaurs grew to such large sizes, but there are clues to the process of gigantism and its possible advantages.’
- ‘In 1992 I visited the island of Komodo - home of the Komodo dragon - to study gigantism among reptiles.’
- ‘The dodo of Mauritius (a giant pigeon) is a famous example of island gigantism.’
Excessive growth due to hormonal imbalance.
- ‘Many variations in the human form, such as dwarfism or gigantism, can arise from such combined mutations.’
- ‘Interest in dwarfism, gigantism, and acromegaly has spanned the centuries; literature, especially for children, is filled with stories about dwarfs and giants, while Old Testament writings have several descriptions of giants.’
- ‘A minority of patients have gigantism / acromegaly with elevated levels of prolactin and growth hormone.’
- ‘Too much growth hormone in children who are still growing will make their bones and other body parts grow excessively, resulting in gigantism.’
- ‘He published 400 papers, many of major importance, on subjects as diverse as acromegaly, Cushing's syndrome, gigantism, the effects of prolonged fasting, diabetes, and the hormone aldosterone.’
Excessive size in plants due to polyploidy.
- ‘Of course, many plant parasites stimulate their hosts causing hypertrophy and gigantism; broom formation in mistletoes, and gall formation by insects and rust fungi are examples.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.