One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A unit of information equal to one billion (10⁹) or, strictly, 2³⁰ bits.
- ‘A megabit is one million bits; a gigabit is one billion bits.’
- ‘The total bandwidth per port ranges from 3 gigabits to more than 60 gigabits per second.’
- ‘Current disc drives in production are at levels of nearly 50 gigabits per square inch.’
- ‘We are averaging 2.5 gigabits per second being pulled off the Internet, peaking at 5 gigs in the evening.’
- ‘For example, it's been estimated that a photonic internet could transmit data at 160 gigabits per second, which is thousands of times faster than today's typical high-speed connection.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.