One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A unit of information equal to one billion (10⁹) or, strictly, 2³⁰ bits.
- ‘We are averaging 2.5 gigabits per second being pulled off the Internet, peaking at 5 gigs in the evening.’
- ‘A megabit is one million bits; a gigabit is one billion bits.’
- ‘The total bandwidth per port ranges from 3 gigabits to more than 60 gigabits per second.’
- ‘For example, it's been estimated that a photonic internet could transmit data at 160 gigabits per second, which is thousands of times faster than today's typical high-speed connection.’
- ‘Current disc drives in production are at levels of nearly 50 gigabits per square inch.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.