Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A voucher given as a present that is exchangeable for a specified cash value of goods or services from a particular place of business.
- ‘For my birthday in September, Logan bought me a gift certificate for a bra fitting.’
- ‘Now if you do this way before the deadline, you would have time to complete the survey, get the gift certificate, go to the store and get the gifts.’
- ‘Whether as a gift for a secretary, a neighbor or the mailman, a spa gift certificate for a massage or other relaxing treat is welcome and appropriate.’
- ‘Consider giving a gift certificate related to their interests.’
- ‘One of the most well-received holiday gifts is a gift certificate.’
- ‘Even with all that was put up we didn't quite get to $1000 so I gave her the remainder as a gift certificate.’
- ‘At one point, the restaurant was giving all people celebrating birthdays a card, signed by the staff, that was also a gift certificate.’
- ‘I happened to have had a gift certificate for a winery tour, packaged with a couple of bottles of wine.’
- ‘For those thinking about buying a surfboard for Christmas, maybe the best idea is to get a gift certificate to a retailer that is good for six months.’
- ‘I even have a gift certificate for a massage - 90 minutes!’
- ‘My girlfriend gave me a gift certificate for a massage at a spa.’
- ‘California recently enacted a law that says no matter when a gift certificate claims it expired, it's still good.’
- ‘She suggested that I purchase a gift certificate instead, but I said that would be pointless, since I would be the one spending it.’
- ‘Offer a gift certificate for a discount on their next purchase of framing or limited-edition art.’
- ‘We spoke for almost ten minutes, and at the end of it all she offered a ten-dollar gift certificate.’
- ‘Hold a raffle for a camp sweatshirt or a gift certificate to a local store.’
- ‘If she's open to it, give her a gift certificate for a makeover.’
- ‘You don't think we will spend more than what the gift certificate will cover do you?’
- ‘I may also use part of my spa gift certificate for a facial.’
- ‘He even helped hand out gifts during the gift exchange, surprising her with a card which contained a gift certificate to one of her favorite stores.’
gift certificate/ɡift ˌsərˈtifəkāt/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.