One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very large tortoise with a long lifespan, occurring on several tropical oceanic islands.
- ‘The third aquarium would house more than 50 species of freshwater sharks and rays, as well as enclosures for Komodo dragons and giant tortoises.’
- ‘Darwin also learned that locals could tell from which islands giant tortoises had come by the shapes of the reptiles' shells.’
- ‘This past year, I decided to return to the Galapagos for an intense four-month photo session among old friends such as giant tortoises, marine iguanas, and blue-footed boobies.’
- ‘At least six species, including a giant tortoise, are represented.’
- ‘They are home to sea lions, penguins, flamingos, iguanas, giant tortoises, and many other animals.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.