One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very large tortoise with a long lifespan, occurring on several tropical oceanic islands.
Genus Geochelone, family Testudinidae: G. nigra (Galapagos Islands) and G. gigantea (Aldabra and the Seychelles)
- ‘This past year, I decided to return to the Galapagos for an intense four-month photo session among old friends such as giant tortoises, marine iguanas, and blue-footed boobies.’
- ‘At least six species, including a giant tortoise, are represented.’
- ‘Darwin also learned that locals could tell from which islands giant tortoises had come by the shapes of the reptiles' shells.’
- ‘The third aquarium would house more than 50 species of freshwater sharks and rays, as well as enclosures for Komodo dragons and giant tortoises.’
- ‘They are home to sea lions, penguins, flamingos, iguanas, giant tortoises, and many other animals.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.