One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The largest petrel, which is found around southern oceans, has a massive bill, and scavenges from carcasses.
Genus Macronectes, family Procellariidae: two species
- ‘Why are southern giant petrels thriving on one peninsula, but declining almost everywhere else?’
- ‘On our way there we enjoyed giant petrels, a new species for the trip.’
- ‘Fishing experts estimate that about 60,000 sea birds including about 2,000 giant petrels and around 10,000 albatrosses are killed this way every year.’
- ‘The rest stay aboard a 233-foot Finnish research vessel, taking day trips to see the island's king penguins, elephant seals, and giant petrels.’
- ‘Finally, the scientist reaches her quarry: a colony of southern giant petrels whose nests atop these rocky heights are filled with hungry hatchlings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.