One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person or team that defeats a seemingly much more powerful opponent.
- ‘Three successive wins are pointers to a new era and have transformed the youngsters into giant-killers.’
- ‘Rugby's capacity for throwing up cup giant-killers is notoriously rare.’
- ‘Many refer to him as the sport's new giant-killer.’
- ‘It was giant-killers to giants in just four days for Livingston, and after six minutes they could well have been slain.’
- ‘But although these clubs play in a higher level than the rest, there is absolutely no guarantee that the lower sides will not become giant-killers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.