One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lightweight two-piece white garment worn in judo and other martial arts. A gi typically consists of loose-fitting pants and a jacket that is closed with a cloth belt.
- ‘Inside, people trickled onto a long, white canvas mat dressed in white gis (traditional martial arts uniforms) and white belts.’
- ‘Competitions in this sport resemble Brazilian Jiu-jitsu competitions, although competitors do not usually wear gis.’
- ‘Seven men in gis stand around him, in attack poses.’
- ‘Clip them onto strategic places on the gis of the students (end of sleeve, elbow, ankles, knees, lapel, back of neck, etc.)’
- ‘They were dressed in their gis, having just finished training.’
A private soldier in the US army.private soldier, common soldierView synonyms
1930s (originally denoting equipment supplied to US forces): abbreviation of government (or general) issue.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.