One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The appearance of a ghost or secondary image on a television or other display screen.
- ‘Scattering can create problems for wireless transmission as the reflected signals can cause interference - the ghosting on TV screens for example.’
- ‘The only digital interference can be spotted in the opening title sequence of the first film, with noticeable ghosting of the underlying images.’
- ‘Brightness, contrast and geometry are all excellent, and there was no indication of ghosting.’
- ‘There was no ghosting, streaking, or any other distortion that I noticed during playback of the various formats.’
- ‘The picture is consistently strong, sharp, and clear, with very little ghosting or white burn.’
2The practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication.‘I thought ghosting was a horrible dating habit reserved for casual flings’‘a victim of ghosting herself, Dani also admitted that she will ghost guys she’s been dating’
- ‘The people who engage in ghosting say you just didn't pick up on the otherwise clear signs the end was coming.’
- ‘There are numerous dating blogs that complain about ghosting, with a recent one saying it's all but made dating impossible now with expectations so low that ghosting is the norm.’
- ‘While ghosting may be more and more socially permissible, she believes a long-term relationship requires certain standards of decorum.’
- ‘Because so many of us are so used to communicating in ways other than face-to-face, ghosting might be a comfortable solution to an otherwise awkward situation.’
- ‘Before this era of 24/7 connectivity, ghosting was less effective, because it was less obvious.’
- ‘Many readers shared their own stories of ghosting and being ghosted.’
- ‘I am not going to rant on and on today about ghosting and how it is unacceptable, and if you can't let someone know in a grown up way that you are not interested, then you should NOT be dating.’
- ‘I've been ghosted, I've done the ghosting: it's par for the course.’
- ‘Instead of ghosting, she offered him a pretty decent explanation.’
- ‘I'm not defending ghosting but going cold turkey AFTER a break up has happened may be necessary.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.