One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A story involving ghosts or ghostly circumstances, intended to be suspenseful and scary.
- ‘It's a haunting tale, like a ghost story whose narrator is speaking from beyond the grave, a victim of the same fate.’
- ‘What starts out a psychological thriller turns into little more than a ghost story, and the potential of the initial story is abandoned.’
- ‘I think one episode involved a ghost story in a park.’
- ‘It's a ghost story, about the almost-killed being viewed as if they were.’
- ‘As the name would suggest, it is a ghost story and there is nothing wrong with that.’
- ‘As the distant thunder rumbled and came closer, I thought of the next dime novel I had been planning to read, a ghost story.’
- ‘I enjoyed writing the ghost story and the competition gave me a real taste of what it would be like to be an author.’
- ‘After dark, pass around a flashlight and let everyone tell a favorite ghost story.’
- ‘She tells him that he acts like he is frightened by a superstitious ghost story.’
- ‘He is the father of much genre writing - the detective story, the ghost story, science fiction, the psychological thriller.’
- ‘The story is a gothic ghost story set amid the backdrop of the Spanish Civil War.’
- ‘In this case a modern Tokyo apartment building becomes the setting for a ghost story told in the time-honoured Japanese confessional style.’
- ‘In a ghost story, the narrative doesn't have to be a model of originality or coherence, but it needs to support the scares.’
- ‘It is a ghost story, a tragedy, a policier and a drawing room comedy: a captivating story performed with childlike unselfconsciousness.’
- ‘It is the ghost story supreme - a ghost story with a vengeance.’
- ‘If you had read the title of this story, you would think that this story will be a scary ghost story or a story about a murderer with an axe but I am afraid it is not.’
- ‘There's nothing like a good ghost story to spice up the history of a house.’
- ‘There are elements of a ghost story, and there is a growing, yet understated tension, with subtle layers of meaning.’
- ‘It starts off as a ghost story, moves into a political thriller and finishes as an epic, spiritual battle between good and evil.’
- ‘It's a kind of ghost story, really, a ghost story that ends on a quavering note of love, reunion, and redemption.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.