Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bicycle painted white and left as a memorial at a site where a cyclist was fatally injured by a collision with a motor vehicle.‘a ghost bike is a reminder of the vulnerability of cyclists’
- ‘Her white ghost bike has been reinstated on the railings in memoriam.’
- ‘There's not much left of his ghost bike by the A12 junction, but his helmet, gloves and neckerchief have somehow survived the ravages of three months in the open.’
- ‘From the statues of the long-dead to the white "ghost bikes" of the recently taken cyclist, there is a human need to record and remember.’
- ‘Some ghost bikes, which first appeared in 2003 in St. Louis, have been vandalized or had handlebars and other parts stolen.’
- ‘Cann found a snow-white "ghost bike," festooned with a maroon Christmas garland and placed at the site of a bicycle accident.’
- ‘On Brian's side of the roundabout, outside McDonalds, a ghost bike has appeared.’
- ‘One coasts past the 'ghost bike' memorials, fallen soldiers in the silent war between the car drivers and the meek and environmentally conscious.’
- ‘It lived on as an urban sculpture: a roadside shrine and an extravagant ghost bike rolled into one.’
- ‘A "ghost bike" marked the intersection for months following his death.’
- ‘Fellow graphic design students have honoured Charlie by chaining the ghost bike to the willow tree outside the college.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.