Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting or exemplifying an ostentatious or flamboyant lifestyle or style of clothing of a type associated with the hip-hop subculture.‘ghetto-fabulous rappers’
- ‘Also, she feels like M.C. Hammer, but more ghetto fabulous that he ever was.’
- ‘Few phrases offer more mixed messages or feel more inherently contradictory than the term "ghetto fabulous."’
- ‘Both of us have been associated with the term ghetto-fabulous, but that's something we did four years ago.’
- ‘The suggestion is that these youngsters are being encouraged to adopt a negative ' ghetto fabulous ' lifestyle rather than one that values education, and domestic and civic responsibility.’
- ‘The lifestyles among Goines's characters would be called "ghetto fabulous" today.’
- ‘He favoured flashy, shiny fabrics, rather like the ghetto-fabulous P. Diddy.’
- ‘She stands by her man and provides the comic relief with her "ghetto fabulous" attitude.’
- ‘If they are to be authors, shouldn't we be coaxing them towards the mainstream prizes rather than the ghetto-fabulous hit parade?’
- ‘Neither ghetto-fabulous nor turgidly worthy, Jurassic 5 are evangelists for the pleasure principle inherent in the genesis of hip-hop.’
- ‘This guy is our ghetto-fabulous entrant for season three.’
- ‘There are few hip hop divas quite as damn ghetto fabulous as 22-year-old Kelis.’
- ‘The actress describes her character, Charlene, as " ghetto fabulous and smart".’
- ‘Maybe it's their street mentality or their ghetto fabulous attitude or their inner city chic or their hip-hop like posse.’
- ‘A year ago, it was what we called ghetto fabulous.’
- ‘Though this event is mostly attended by African-Americans, the display of ghetto-fabulous street culture makes most decent, hard-working black folks shudder with shame.’
- ‘You're grunge one day, ghetto fabulous the next.’
- ‘I so wanted to see Oprah redefine ghetto fabulous.’
- ‘The hip-hop generation has evolved and matured from just being ghetto-fabulous to finding that happy medium between over-the-top and traditional, classic elegance.’
- ‘The roots of hip hop's infatuation with expensive, outrageous and overtly customised motor vehicles lie in ghetto fabulous, the trend for conspicuous consumption.’
- ‘I'm sure you've all heard of the ghetto-fabulous phrase "talk to the hand."’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.