Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting or exemplifying an ostentatious or flamboyant lifestyle or style of clothing of a type associated with the hip-hop subculture.‘ghetto-fabulous rappers’
- ‘The suggestion is that these youngsters are being encouraged to adopt a negative ' ghetto fabulous ' lifestyle rather than one that values education, and domestic and civic responsibility.’
- ‘Both of us have been associated with the term ghetto-fabulous, but that's something we did four years ago.’
- ‘I'm sure you've all heard of the ghetto-fabulous phrase "talk to the hand."’
- ‘Neither ghetto-fabulous nor turgidly worthy, Jurassic 5 are evangelists for the pleasure principle inherent in the genesis of hip-hop.’
- ‘He favoured flashy, shiny fabrics, rather like the ghetto-fabulous P. Diddy.’
- ‘Maybe it's their street mentality or their ghetto fabulous attitude or their inner city chic or their hip-hop like posse.’
- ‘I so wanted to see Oprah redefine ghetto fabulous.’
- ‘A year ago, it was what we called ghetto fabulous.’
- ‘You're grunge one day, ghetto fabulous the next.’
- ‘This guy is our ghetto-fabulous entrant for season three.’
- ‘Few phrases offer more mixed messages or feel more inherently contradictory than the term "ghetto fabulous."’
- ‘Also, she feels like M.C. Hammer, but more ghetto fabulous that he ever was.’
- ‘The roots of hip hop's infatuation with expensive, outrageous and overtly customised motor vehicles lie in ghetto fabulous, the trend for conspicuous consumption.’
- ‘There are few hip hop divas quite as damn ghetto fabulous as 22-year-old Kelis.’
- ‘The hip-hop generation has evolved and matured from just being ghetto-fabulous to finding that happy medium between over-the-top and traditional, classic elegance.’
- ‘If they are to be authors, shouldn't we be coaxing them towards the mainstream prizes rather than the ghetto-fabulous hit parade?’
- ‘The lifestyles among Goines's characters would be called "ghetto fabulous" today.’
- ‘Though this event is mostly attended by African-Americans, the display of ghetto-fabulous street culture makes most decent, hard-working black folks shudder with shame.’
- ‘She stands by her man and provides the comic relief with her "ghetto fabulous" attitude.’
- ‘The actress describes her character, Charlene, as " ghetto fabulous and smart".’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.