Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[usually in combination] A person or thing that gets a specified desirable thing.‘an attention-getter’‘a vote-getter’
- ‘Olga started to get bookings from other specialty food stores as a guest chef and attention getter to increase their business.’
- ‘Every week the audience votes, and the lowest vote getter leaves, until, by the final show, only one contestant remains standing.’
- ‘The opening of your column was an effective attention getter.’
- ‘Jack finished that 1997 ride in sixth place and established himself as a regular top 10 place getter in the years following.’
- ‘Dressing your child up in theme clothing is a guaranteed attention getter.’
- ‘A runoff is to take place between the two top vote getters as no candidate gained more than 50 percent of the votes, needed to secure an electoral victory.’
- ‘At age of 29, this master blaster is climbing towards the throne of highest run getter.’
- ‘The following are the final four place getters.’
- ‘After bursting onto the senior intercounty scene with a reputation as a serious score getter, the well has dried.’
- ‘He is the top point getter among rearguards in the play-offs.’
- ‘I wonder how many athletes who have constantly run second expect the first place getter to be taken out of the race so that they can win!’
- ‘And whoever got 15 or 20 and was the high vote getter would become the governor of California.’
- ‘The first place getter will receive just under $US18,000.’
- ‘In motor racing finishing positions determine the winners and place getters, while in speed events lap times determine the outcome.’
- ‘This provocative attention getter became known as the batty rider.’
- ‘Its color is an attention getter for sure, especially when combined with a diamond or other metal, such as gold.’
- ‘While they may be a motley crew, they are also among the top vote getters in the country.’
- ‘I actually think he quite likes being United's sole goal getter, it makes him feel good.’
- ‘The record-breaking knock saw him become the highest run getter for India.TI’
- ‘This anticipated personal vote of up to 14,000, up from the 10,000 he polled in 1997, will make him one of the largest vote getters in the country.’
A substance used to remove residual gas from a vacuum tube, or impurities or defects from a semiconductor crystal.
- ‘Ar was cleaned with Zr-Ti getters.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.