One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Become alert or aware.‘the birds get wise and figure out it's just noise’
- ‘I was only certain of one thing: I got wise because I outlived my earlier mistakes.’
- ‘American buyers are getting wise to the fact that they're overpriced, oversized, overly thirsty and over the bumper of other innocent vehicles in an accident.’
- ‘Move it around every day or two, so the birds don't get wise.’
- ‘How many times do big chunks of these pay days get passed on to other operators and organizations without the operators and organizations getting wise to the game?’
- ‘Following yet another arrest, the authorities got wise to his true identity and fugitive status.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.