One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Manage to communicate an idea clearly.
communicate, get over, put over, impart, convey, transmit, make understood, make clear, expressView synonyms
- ‘It's a good way to learn how to get your ideas across to someone who potentially doesn't know what you're talking about, and isn't interested anyway.’
- ‘We help people express things more clearly, get their ideas across while learning a bit more about the structure of the English language.’
- ‘It was a simple statement, but it got the point across quite clearly.’
- ‘Last night he came across as hesitant and defensive, unable to get his points across clearly.’
- ‘He clearly got the message across, because soon afterwards a listener, Adriana, rang the station to say he had won her vote.’
- ‘While English may be his second language, he managed to get that point across loud and clear.’
- ‘They must be able to communicate effectively in order to motivate others and get their ideas across.’
- ‘Back on the streets, Chad encountered a few kids with skateboards and managed to get our intentions across to them.’
- ‘Have I managed to get it across how much I love this song?’
- ‘The whole idea of getting the message across through animals and relationships with people is full of subtlety.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.