One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an athlete or team) suddenly become effective.‘he got hot at the right time and found himself in the title match’
- ‘The biggest complaint with the Division Series is that an inferior team can get hot, lucky or both and knock off a big shot.’
- ‘Suddenly getting hot often depends on things out of your control, and if there is one thing that truly bad teams don't get is a lot of breaks.’
- ‘Dreifort is a free agent after the season and, even if he gets hot, some team officials believe they should look elsewhere for help.’
- ‘Also, Michael Redd is just good enough to carry a team if he gets hot.’
- ‘RHP Javier Vazquez got hot just when the team needed him most.’
- ‘But rewarding teams who luck into getting hot at season's end (instead of excelling consistently over the whole season) can also lead to ridiculous outcomes.’
- ‘Beltran, however, is a switch hitter with power and speed, entirely capable of getting hot and carrying a team for a prolonged stretch.’
- ‘We've had these before, longshots suddenly getting hot, but not usually this early.’
- ‘Any team can get hot during the playoffs and win a championship.’
- ‘Everybody likes to talk about a team getting hot and sweeping through the postseason and reaching the Super Bowl.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.