One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Energy, enthusiasm, and initiative.
drive, initiative, enterprise, enthusiasm, eagerness, ambition, motivation, push, go, dynamism, energy, gusto, vigour, vitality, verve, fire, fervourView synonyms
- ‘The responsibility to show a bit of get-up-and-go, and to look to the future in any decisions we make about climate change in this country, rests on the National Party's shoulders.’
- ‘Here we have a company with entrepreneurial spirit and get-up-and-go.’
- ‘There was certainly more get-up-and-go about the team today.’
- ‘Ambition, a spirit of get-up-and-go and a sense of pride in our community were all we had to rely on to drag ourselves up to a better standard of living.’
- ‘What the horse lacks in get-up-and-go it makes up for in how good you'll look when you're riding it.’
- ‘I want my life to be organised, but I never seem to have the get-up-and-go to do the organising.’
- ‘They're interesting people, outdoors people with a bit of get-up-and-go.’
- ‘Ideally, I would like to work in an energetic workplace with fast turnaround and lots of get-up-and-go.’
- ‘I now have my get-up-and-go back, which has meant I've been able to do things like giving my son a helping hand with his new bike.’
- ‘He is a new man, full of vigour and get-up-and-go.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.