Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The very beginning.‘Lawrence knew from the get-go that he could count on me to tell him the truth’
- ‘He has said from the get-go that he doesn't think that words move markets.’
- ‘We were planning on having kids from the very get-go, but we decided to wait until we were financially secure enough.’
- ‘Running in confined tunnels as they do, subways had to be all-electric from the get-go.’
- ‘From the get-go, we thought it was important to have fun around here.’
- ‘They said at the get-go that this piece of plastic was collected around the time when bodies washed up.’
- ‘Politics and levels of productivity aside, it is this setting that has seduced cafe goers from the get-go.’
- ‘In most cases, it's best just to turn off the comment feature from the get-go.’
- ‘It's an important, serious broadcast that has broken stories from the get-go, and will continue to do so.’
- ‘We've had a right to go into courtrooms in this country since the get-go, 200 years ago.’
- ‘Nature's packages are designed from the get-go to return to natural cycles.’
- ‘At the get-go, so many people just could not believe Kobe Bryant was charged with such a thing.’
- ‘First, there is no break-in required; the gun runs perfectly right from the get-go.’
- ‘Though this has a similar sound to his previous incarnations, from the get-go there are some very noticeable differences.’
- ‘Evidently designed and written to be watched back to back, the two movies come off as being parts of a whole, and as such the pacing of this final part is shot from the get-go.’
- ‘Our components quit, break rather easily, or are often faulty from the get-go.’
- ‘On the follow-up, it just sounds perfect from the get-go.’
- ‘This will never be an album that overcomes you from the get-go.’
- ‘When you see a movie that looks this good from the get-go, you just know you're in for a terrific time.’
- ‘From the get-go, this five-tracker leaves you wanting a taste of more.’
- ‘But all we really see is that the couple was doomed from the get-go.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.