One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The scientific study of old age, the process of aging, and the particular problems of old people.
- ‘Many colleges and universities do not require or encourage course work in gerontology.’
- ‘This spells out the practical applications of the scientific knowledge currently available in the areas of gerontology and geriatrics.’
- ‘Five journals - three in social gerontology, one in rural sociology, and one in regional science - account for 40 percent of the articles recently published in this area.’
- ‘Most were in the behavioral science category, but about 25 projects were also judged in the categories of health medicine, gerontology, computer science and environmental science.’
- ‘Thane's treatment of twentieth-century aging reaches beyond historical studies to social gerontology.’
- ‘His education extended to a theological seminary, as well as graduate work in literature and gerontology.’
- ‘These fields of practice, along with the study of gerontology, have formulated many workable answers to the hard questions.’
- ‘This publication will certainly serve as a reference manual for all those involved in nutrition, gerontology and geriatrics.’
- ‘Falls are therefore a key syndrome in medical gerontology.’
- ‘She is assistant director of academic programs for the UCLA multicampus program in geriatric medicine and gerontology.’
- ‘I'd start doing some research on gerontology and other scientific/medical fields that deal with either aging or old people.’
- ‘The professor of gerontology at the University of Newcastle is giving this year's series of five Lectures under the provocative title The End Of Age.’
- ‘The training grounds in medical schools focus very little on geriatrics and gerontology, and newly graduating doctors come out with what some researchers call ‘healthism’.’
- ‘Geriatrics and gerontology continue to be a fertile ground for research, and this manual provides readers with recent research in this field.’
- ‘He studied medicine at the University of Rochester before taking an internship at Harvard University to specialize in gerontology and the kidney.’
- ‘She received a master of science degree in foods and nutrition in combination with a graduate certificate in gerontology from the University of Utah.’
- ‘The chair and professor of the department of gerontology conducts research on the psychological aspects of aging, chronic illness and family caregiving.’
- ‘I think the research going on in gerontology is going to be a great stimulus to the development of geriatric medicine.’
- ‘In the language of gerontology, there are no good biomarkers for aging.’
- ‘Recommendations for practice include providing exposure of nursing students to rural communities and including gerontology in the nursing curriculum.’
Early 20th century: from Greek gerōn, geront- ‘old man’ + -logy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.