Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small, brown, common indoor cockroach found worldwide.
- ‘Researchers earlier identified the courtship chemicals used by other cockroach species, but the romance scent of the German cockroach remained elusive.’
- ‘A type of small cockroach named the German cockroach didn't exist in Shanghai until the 1980s.’
- ‘They isolated a pheromone that female German cockroaches use to attract males.’
- ‘The German cockroach - Blattella germanica - one of the world's most intrusive species, likes to live indoors with us.’
- ‘The two smaller cockroaches ranging in size from ½ to 5/8 inch are the German cockroach and the brownbanded cockroach.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.