Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Germ cells, collectively.
- ‘Let it be sufficient to note that even these developments, such as vegetable biotechnology and germ plasm, are not easily transferred across regional production systems.’
- ‘There is no evidence for germ plasm being involved in germ-cell formation in the mouse or other mammals.’
- ‘One of the requirements for germ-cell formation is assembly of the specialized cytoplasm, the germ plasm, at the posterior of the egg.’
- 1.1The genetic material of germ cells.
- ‘Deren said the gene mutation method was expected to yield a germ plasm, somewhat of a working model, in about two years, that would form the foundation of any commercial production.’
- ‘Most of the earlier reported QTL were found in crosses within North American germ plasm, while we used only European material.’
- ‘Literally adding spice to the occasion was a pest and disease-resistant cinnamon variety selected from the germ plasm of open pollinated seedlings maintained at the Horticultural Research Centre at Pechiparai.’
- ‘At gastrulation, the germ plasm is located in cells in the floor of the blastocoel cavity, among the cells that give rise to the endoderm.’
- ‘One order provided for the recovery by the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries of related costs from the exporters of live animals and germ plasm.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.