One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant of the daisy family, native to Asia and Africa, with large brightly colored flowers.
Genus Gerbera, family Compositae: many species, in particular the widely cultivated Transvaal daisy
- ‘I really really liked that bouquet of gerberas you bought me, as well as that really cute teddy bear.’
- ‘Drape doorways with strings of dark-red crystals, ruby gerberas and deep pink bougainvillea.’
- ‘The gerbera is a most sensitive plant to propagate from seed and if you sow a hundred seeds you would be lucky to get a few plants out of them.’
- ‘In the galleries, export market cut flowers such as anthuriums, orchids, carnations, heliconiums and gerberas attracted a large number of people.’
- ‘Large flowers such as gerberas are less time-consuming to work with than small ones like button mums, as you'll need fewer stems to cover the foam base.’
Modern Latin, named after Traugott Gerber (died 1743), German naturalist.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.