One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The central number in a geometric progression (e.g. 9 in 3, 9, 27), also calculable as the nth root of a product of n numbers.
- ‘As the magnitude of fluctuation increases, the geometric mean becomes smaller relative to the arithmetic mean, so that fitnesses decrease with increasing magnitude of fluctuations.’
- ‘The effects of the legislation were summarised as relative rates and ratios of geometric means, with 95% confidence intervals.’
- ‘In addition, presenting arithmetic means while comparing geometric means statistically can only encourage misinterpretation.’
- ‘The geometric means of the zone sizes obtained by disc diffusion for all the antimicrobials were reflective of the susceptibility pattern of the study isolates.’
- ‘It is easy to see that the medial and the binomial are closely related to the geometric mean and the arithmetic mean respectively.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.