Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A land survey with corrections made to account for the curvature of the earth's surface.
- ‘Consistency is maintained by the combination of highly accurate periodic geodetic surveys of the gauge position (usually on a pier) and frequent calibration of the gauge itself.’
- ‘Cassini also studied atmospheric refraction and conducted a geodetic survey.’
- ‘He was commissioned by his government in the 1820s to conduct a geodetic survey of the region around the city of Göttingen in Hannover.’
- ‘Bache's Coastal Survey investigated tides, astronomy, magnetism, measurements of the Gulf Stream, and the use of telegraphy to determine longitude, in addition to geodetic surveys.’
- ‘Within these troops are the capabilities of geodetic survey, imagery acquisition and database development.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.