One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to geodesy, especially as applied to land surveying.
- ‘In the past three decades he has done extensive geodetic surveying in India and Tibet and completed numerous investigations of historic Indian earthquakes.’
- ‘The most effective course of action satisfying the two latter requirements is to use a geodetic information system with a set of necessary maps of terrain.’
- ‘Seismologists use geodetic observations such as measurements of tilt and land deformation to predict when an earthquake might be about to take place.’
- ‘A theodolite is permanently installed at the center of the beam in order to define its orientation with a back-sight toward another geodetic point.’
- ‘While he could claim to compete in the quality and scope of his cartography and geodetic work, the truly distinguishing feature of his survey was its military tenor.’
Late 17th century: from Greek geōdaitēs ‘land surveyor’, from geōdaisia (see geodesy).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.