Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The branch of mathematics dealing with the shape and area of the earth or large portions of it.
- ‘While Laplace and Gauss contributed to the physical sciences such as astronomy and geodesy, Fisher used his mathematical gifts to till the fertile ground of biology.’
- ‘Even the most imaginative pioneers did not foresee the real impact of GPS on many fields of professional life, in particular my field, geodesy and surveying.’
- ‘In the field of geodesy, however, Eratosthenes will always be remembered for his measurements of the Earth.’
- ‘He set up a new curriculum for applied mathematics at the university which spread over six semesters and included applications of mathematics to astronomy, geodesy and technology.’
- ‘He proposed the method of triangulation and this work is the foundation of geodesy.’
Late 16th century: from modern Latin geodaesia, from Greek geōdaisia, from gē earth + daiein to divide.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.