Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘If physiologic genu varum or genu valgum persists beyond seven to eight years of age, orthopedic referral is indicated.’
- ‘Mal-alignment factors above the ankle, such as genu varum, can also contribute to increased stress on the Achilles tendon.’
- ‘May develop genu valgus or varus deformity at knee if there is a disproportionate loss of cartilage on one side.’
- ‘Tightness of the iliotibial band, excessive foot pronation, genu varum, and tibial torsion are predisposing factors.’
- ‘Bowleggedness (the medical name for this is genu varum), an exaggerated bending outward of the leg from the knee downward, can be inherited.’
- 1.1Biology A part of certain structures resembling a knee, in particular a bend in the corpus callosum of mammals.
- ‘The cingulate sulcus begins below the rostrum of the corpus callosum and arches in front of the genu of the corpus callosum, about a finger's breadth distant from it.’
- ‘There is evidence of a small focus of hyperintensity along the undersurface of the genu of the corpus callosum.’
- ‘The anterior and posterior portions of the corpus callosum curve sharply downwards to form its genu and splenium, respectively.’
- ‘The team found that the brain connections deteriorated three times as fast in the genu compared to the splenium.’
- ‘The anterior cerebral artery can be seen running on the medial surface of the hemisphere, first beneath and then around the genu of the corpus callosum.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.