One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A polite form of a address for a woman, used especially to a congresswoman during a congressional debate.
- ‘I commend the gentlelady for raising these issues, and I look forward to working with her in the future.’
- ‘Is it news, that some of the distinguished gentlemen and gentleladies in our nation's capital lack the intelligence of a clove of garlic?’
- ‘Does the gentlelady have information that the Independent Counsel's Office had this information?’
- ‘I commend her for her support today, as well as the gentlelady from Pennsylvania, Ms. Hart, for taking a leadership role in pursuing this legislation dating back to the last Congress.’
- ‘And I would like to ask the gentlelady if she is aware that he has been identified as a target.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.