One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A style of painting depicting scenes from ordinary life, especially domestic situations. Genre painting is associated particularly with 17th-century Dutch and Flemish artists.
- ‘Seventeenth-century Dutch still-life and genre painting, he argued, show an objective, disinterested, view of the most insignificant things.’
- ‘Already in an ambitious 1881 genre painting of his own domestic life, Gauguin had recorded a pair of wooden shoes displayed on the parlor wall.’
- ‘In a painting of a foreshortened, claustrophobic interior, a large man tends to his bedridden companion in an affecting scene that harks back to Dutch and German genre painting.’
- ‘The title Bonjour Monsieur Courbet effectively reduced the work to a simple genre painting of three men and a dog.’
- ‘He preferred the small, informal portrait, the conversation piece, landscape, and genre painting to full-length portraits in 18th-century British art.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.