One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A style of painting depicting scenes from ordinary life, especially domestic situations. Genre painting is associated particularly with 17th-century Dutch and Flemish artists.
- ‘Seventeenth-century Dutch still-life and genre painting, he argued, show an objective, disinterested, view of the most insignificant things.’
- ‘The title Bonjour Monsieur Courbet effectively reduced the work to a simple genre painting of three men and a dog.’
- ‘He preferred the small, informal portrait, the conversation piece, landscape, and genre painting to full-length portraits in 18th-century British art.’
- ‘Already in an ambitious 1881 genre painting of his own domestic life, Gauguin had recorded a pair of wooden shoes displayed on the parlor wall.’
- ‘In a painting of a foreshortened, claustrophobic interior, a large man tends to his bedridden companion in an affecting scene that harks back to Dutch and German genre painting.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.