One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The genetic constitution of an individual organism.Often contrasted with phenotype
- ‘If a hypolipidaemic drug were found to be effective in only one genetic subgroup the genotypes would be of more interest.’
- ‘Phenotypic plasticity enables individuals or genotypes to assume obviously different phenotypes during the life cycle.’
- ‘What evidence to you have that the genotype of such organisms has not evolved?’
- ‘These strains offer the genetic reproducibility that is so valuable in lab mice, but with a wider variety of genotypes and phenotypes.’
- ‘To determine the haplotypes of an individual, the genotypes of both parents may be required.’
Investigate the genetic constitution of (an individual organism)‘the person appointed will be responsible for maintaining and genotyping many different lines of zebra fish’
- ‘Eighteen microsatellites were genotyped in order to investigate which population of the adjacent countries was the possible source.’
- ‘This analysis was preceded by genotyping the main ancestors of the southern soybean gene pool for the flanking markers.’
- ‘The lines are for when the cost of genotyping a single marker is expressed in the units of the cost of rearing.’
- ‘All other plants from crosses involving a resistant mutant line were genotyped.’
- ‘Many rams have already been genotyped for their ability to pass on resistance to scrapie.’
Early 20th century: from German Genotypus, from Greek genos ‘race, offspring’ + -tupos ‘type’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.