Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The genetic constitution of an individual organism.Often contrasted with phenotype
- ‘Phenotypic plasticity enables individuals or genotypes to assume obviously different phenotypes during the life cycle.’
- ‘To determine the haplotypes of an individual, the genotypes of both parents may be required.’
- ‘These strains offer the genetic reproducibility that is so valuable in lab mice, but with a wider variety of genotypes and phenotypes.’
- ‘If a hypolipidaemic drug were found to be effective in only one genetic subgroup the genotypes would be of more interest.’
- ‘What evidence to you have that the genotype of such organisms has not evolved?’
Investigate the genetic constitution of (an individual organism)‘the person appointed will be responsible for maintaining and genotyping many different lines of zebra fish’
- ‘This analysis was preceded by genotyping the main ancestors of the southern soybean gene pool for the flanking markers.’
- ‘All other plants from crosses involving a resistant mutant line were genotyped.’
- ‘Many rams have already been genotyped for their ability to pass on resistance to scrapie.’
- ‘The lines are for when the cost of genotyping a single marker is expressed in the units of the cost of rearing.’
- ‘Eighteen microsatellites were genotyped in order to investigate which population of the adjacent countries was the possible source.’
Early 20th century: from German Genotypus, from Greek genos race, offspring + -tupos type.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.