Either of two protuberances on the inferior surface of the thalamus that relay auditory and visual impulses respectively to the cerebral cortex.
- ‘The ventral notch in the lateral geniculate body was filled with optic tract fibers and these have been removed to show the nucleus.’
- ‘Neurons from the lateral geniculate nucleus then send axons to the visual cortex.’
- ‘The ventrally placed notch in the lateral geniculate body is readily seen, with optic tract fibers terminating on both sides of this deep ventral groove.’
- ‘On the right side of the illustration, medial and lateral geniculate bodies - which together constitute the metathalamus - can be recognized.’
- ‘At the rear end of the thalamus are the smaller medial and lateral geniculate nuclei, relaying auditory and visual pathways, respectively, to the auditory and visual areas of the cortex.’