One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gene or short sequence of DNA used to identify a chromosome or to locate other genes on a genetic map.
- ‘For each replicate, the first sweep of a beneficial mutation was identified using genetic markers.’
- ‘Clones bearing unique sequences enabled the alignment of genetic markers onto chromosomes.’
- ‘In the present context, a molecular genetic marker is considered as a point on a pair of homolog chromosomes of a diploid species.’
- ‘Analyzing genetic markers, on the other hand, unequivocally determines which genes are in a cultivar.’
- ‘Earlier work showed that many genetic markers for barrel medic can be used to find genes in alfalfa.’
- ‘The researchers found strong evidence that a lung cancer susceptibility gene or genes is co-inherited with a genetic marker on chromosome 6.’
- ‘At present many genes are considered useful as genetic markers of oral malignancy.’
- ‘For instance, genetics experts have now produced a genetic linkage map of the horse: a series of genetic markers have been identified and placed on the horse's chromosomes.’
- ‘Selective breeding may be accelerated by identifying genetic markers associated with traits such as disease resistance or growth rate.’
- ‘The 12 genetic markers analyzed on chromosome 6 are listed in Table 1.’
- ‘The use of genetic markers to identify parent-offspring relationships is becoming an important tool in molecular ecology.’
- ‘Map positions of genetic markers are depicted as circles on chromosomes.’
- ‘This map will provide scientists with a more accurate means to identify and locate novel genes and genetic markers in cattle.’
- ‘They've identified genetic markers for a single gene in barley that enhances aluminum tolerance.’
- ‘His goal is to identify genetic markers capable of differentiating between closely related Hypericum species.’
- ‘His possible genetic markers promise to help identify and locate the emergence genes on the chromosomes, one of the goals of the genome project.’
- ‘We discuss other systems in which genetic markers might be useful in identifying cryptic morphs.’
- ‘Currently, the two genetic markers most routinely used are the eye color genes white and rosy.’
- ‘So it's very good news that scientists have found genetic markers that easily identify broccoli varieties with natural resistance to downy mildew.’
- ‘Such labs could identify genetic markers used in more traditional breeding programs and develop gene chips to be distributed to regional and national labs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.