Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A graphic representation of a chromosome including the position of its genes.
- ‘Single-pass sequencing of cDNA clones has been suggested as a rapid method of identifying genes, the mapping of which will enhance genetic maps.’
- ‘Ongoing investigations based on gene expression studies will help to identify candidate genes that will be further mapped on the oak genetic maps.’
- ‘The physical map of T. monococcum had perfect colinearity with the genetic map of wheat chromosome arm 5AL.’
- ‘The rice genetic map can be divided into a set of linked genes, known as linkage blocks, that can be shuffled to represent the genetic maps of other cereal genomes.’
- ‘It would later be established that there is a linear correspondence between the sequence of genes in the genetic maps and the dark and light bands in the polytene chromosomes of the salivary glands.’
- ‘Thicker lines on the genetic map indicate map positions occupied by more than one marker.’
- ‘However, on the genetic map, the positions of centromeres have not been defined on all 12 rice chromosomes.’
- ‘In the absence of a detailed genetic map and of knowledge about the sex-determining gene, this finding remained enigmatic.’
- ‘A genetic map showing the 16 chromosomes of yeast is diagrammed.’
- ‘Chromosomal maps fall into two broad categories - genetic maps and physical maps.’
- ‘The genetic map of this chromosome is characterized by several clusters of cosegregating markers that were partly split by inserted TBs.’
- ‘Information from genetic maps is used in linkage analysis to identify disease-predisposing genes.’
- ‘From this we surmised that the genes we had identified encompass about half of the genetic map.’
- ‘The construction of a genetic map is a first step toward understanding the mechanics of chromosomal interactions in polyploid organisms.’
- ‘The schematic diagram indicates the markers used in recombination analysis and their corresponding genetic map positions.’
- ‘The construction of detailed genetic maps in several bacterial species soon revealed that the overall gene order was not conserved over a long evolutionary timescale.’
- ‘This information is used by a clone ordering algorithm and is represented graphically, allowing users to interactively align physical and genetic maps.’
- ‘The relative distances between the clones in relation to the chromosome length could be compared with their distances on the genetic map.’
- ‘Second, the candidate genes will be readily located once a promising region is identified as genetic maps are becoming densely populated with known genes.’
- ‘However, until recently most comparative studies were coarse and based on genetic maps and various kinds of markers.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.