One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The presence of unfavorable genetic material in the genes of a population.
- ‘Using interval mapping to dissect genetic load, research showed a prevalence of semilethal rather than lethal factors in two conifers.’
- ‘Simplistically, the heavier the genetic load the earlier the onset and the lower the threshold for environmental triggering.’
- ‘Once this mating type dominates a population, it is very unlikely to break down even when the population becomes small because of the high genetic load it implies.’
- ‘In his first year, he worked on the genetic load of chronically irradiated populations of D. melanogaster.’
- ‘In a large out-breeding population, genetic load will be maximised but because of the out-breeding pattern, the number of reproductively detective offspring will be low.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.