One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(not in technical use) a gene map, or a genome map.
- ‘Laboratory researchers have created genetic blueprints of the transformation from strong muscles and chromosomes to weak ones, rapid reflexes to slow ones, good eyes to poor ones.’
- ‘Random changes in the genetic blueprint of the organism produce the novelties that allow natural selection to break through the natural limits.’
- ‘Researchers say we have an exercise biology, meaning our bodies have a genetic blueprint that requires high amounts of physical activity to be healthy.’
- ‘The Human Genome Project public consortium today announced that it has assembled a working draft of the sequence of the human genome - the genetic blueprint for a human being.’
- ‘In 1932, Huxley predicted the kind of technical control over our genetic blueprint that we have recently accomplished.’
- ‘The promise of genomics is using the genetic blueprint and the RNA and protein profiles to understand complex traits.’
- ‘In addition, all organisms have their genetic blueprint encoded in nucleic acids, either DNA or RNA.’
- ‘A comparison of Clint's genetic blueprints with that of the human genome shows that our closest living relatives share 96 percent of our DNA.’
- ‘Each woman contains the genetic blueprint for normal birth and can trust the inherent integrity of her biology.’
- ‘Additional studies seek to uncover new targets for vaccine development by determining the genetic blueprints for all malaria parasites.’
- ‘Cancer is caused by a cell's genetic blueprint being abnormal.’
- ‘By the end of the 1940s scientists had discovered that DNA contained an organism's entire genetic blueprint.’
- ‘Regarded as the foundation for growth and development before birth, the kidneys contain the genetic blueprint for the next generation.’
- ‘‘Human brain evolution required a major overhaul of the genetic blueprint - perhaps much more so than the evolution of other biological traits,’ he said.’
- ‘As a biologist, however, I must point out that once a sperm cell fertilizes an egg, the genetic blueprint of a unique human being is established.’
- ‘The race for the human genetic blueprint was fundamentally complex, scientific and technical.’
- ‘Recently, the spectacular achievement of elucidating the entire genetic blueprint in a human genome was deservedly fêted as an historic milestone.’
- ‘Polymerase enzymes are crucial components of all organisms and control the reproduction of the genetic blueprint when cells divide.’
- ‘Egg and sperm each ‘donate’ 23 chromosomes, and the resultant 46 chromosomes form our genetic blueprint.’
- ‘The Human Genome Project took nearly 13 years and millions of dollars to map the human genome, our genetic blueprint for life.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.