One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to the study or tracing of lines of family descent.‘genealogical research’
- ‘The book is an ideal educational reference book for project work, essays and genealogical research.’
- ‘This strongly implies that they would have been unmarried, which is an important consideration for genealogical research.’
- ‘I'm hopeful that the genealogical research underway will not trace his roots to Romania.’
- ‘Good luck in your genealogical research, and please let us know what else you find out!’
- ‘I was doing some genealogical research this afternoon, and I was reading about two of my ancestors that died in the Civil War.’
- ‘Several genealogical sites provide research tools to help you trace your family tree.’
- ‘Although it has some collections of names, its strength lies in the thousands of mailing lists and message boards for surnames, places and genealogical topics.’
- ‘However in this country there are genealogical sources which up to now have been little used and which take families back deep into the centuries.’
- ‘Others write to enquire about old friends, or to do genealogical research.’
- ‘In the case of the West, genealogical identities were theoretically understood as genetic or biological.’
- ‘On it were listed the names of our foremost ancestors, and to the side was a longer genealogical list tracing the full family line.’
- ‘A new series of documentaries is being planned which will undertake the most ambitious genealogical study in history.’
- ‘There will be literary and musical archives with facilities for genealogical research.’
- ‘To study the genealogical relationship among the ecotypes, we apply the theory of coalescence processes in the following way.’
- ‘The molecular and genealogical studies were approved by the hospitals' review boards, and all family members studied gave informed consent.’
- ‘It should also be held by every reputable genealogical research collection in the country.’
- ‘The long-term aim of the project is to provide a centre that will be suitably resourced for the undertaking of genealogical research.’
- ‘He starts with Kennedy's maternal and paternal grandparents and traces the genealogical line to Kennedy himself.’
- ‘Tours of local studies and genealogical searches will be provided by library staff.’
- ‘DNA testing is used to prove the link that had been established by genealogical research.’
Late 16th century: from French généalogique, via medieval Latin from Greek genealogikos, from genealogia (see genealogy).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.